Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Wednesday Night Talk

We had a very interesting talk tonight in youth about today's American idolatry. It is crazy to look at America and see how much of it is even in the churches. I felt compelled to speak on this after I watched a video of Mark Driscoll and after reading the chapter on God's Jealousy in "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer, and if this weren't enough I am reading through the book of Ezekiel in my quiet time. It seems that the subject has just overwhelmed me this week.

As I took all of this information in, I really got the sense that God was angry with American Christianity over this very thing. Our God's are not carved images, but our Gods are T.V., food, popularity, relationships, money, power. We have placed a lot of things before God, and as said in the books of the prophets we are "playing the harlot" in our relationship with Him.

Here is a link to Mark Driscoll talking about American Idolatry on You Tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCjHm9kzHBg

Dwain

No comments: